Friday, October 12, 2012

Crockpotalooza 2

With fall and winter approaching, not to mention a newborn on the way, I love to start breaking out my slow cooker/crock-pot this time of year and find new recipes that make a few of our dinner times a little easier.  Last year I linked up to Crockpotalooza at Kelly's Korner and shared some of my favorite crock-pot recipes - you can find the link here for my recipes for crock-pot Chicken BBQ and Chicken Nacho Dip - so yummy!

Here are two other meals I make in the crock-pot:

1.  Salsa Chicken
It seems like a lot of people have their own version of this, but this is so simple and so easy to make a large batch to use for taco salad, quesadillas, fajitas, etc.
Ingredients:
3-4 Chicken breasts
Your favorite salsa
1 pkt taco seasoning

1.  Place chicken in the crockpot
2.  Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken
3.  Cover chicken with salsa
4.  Cook on low around 6 hours - I usually shred the chicken with an hour left to cook


2.  Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes
I originally found the recipe at allrecipes.  It works great when making mashed potatoes for a crowd and tastes really yummy!
Ingredients:
1.  5 lbs red potatoes, cut in chunks
2.  1 Tbs. garlic, minced (If you cook with fresh garlic much, you have to get a garlic press - makes it so much easier!)
3.   3 chicken boullion cubes
4.  sour cream (8 oz)
5.  1 pkg cream cheese (8 oz) softened
6.  1/2 cup butter
7.  salt and pepper to taste

1.  In a large pot of lightly salted boiling water, cook the potatoes, garlic, and bouillon until potatoes are tender but firm, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving water. In a bowl, mash potatoes with sour cream and cream cheese, adding reserved water as needed to attain desired consistency.
2.  Transfer the potato mixture to a slow cooker, cover, and cook on Low for 2 to 3 hours. Just before serving, stir in butter and season with salt and pepper to taste.


Be sure to check out Kelly's Korner to find lots of other slow cooker recipes!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Salsa chicken is one of my favorites! So quick and easy!! I tried your link for last years recipes, but it won't work! i would LOVE your recipe for chicken nacho dip. Would you email it to me? kvick3@harding.edu

The Swains said...

I sent you an email and I, hopefully, fixed the link. Thanks for letting me know!

Little Mrs. P said...

I love the salsa chicken, this is such a good and easy recipe!